Like this blog?Bookmark it and inflict it on others!
"A basic tenant of our legal system is not to convict innocent persons."
-Judge Dena Douglas in People v. Gill.
But is our legal system rent-controlled?
Judge Wool says
- Courts are shocked, shocked, to learn of false confessions
- The NYPD Patrol Guide to the Constitution
- California squawkin’
- Demolishing the 4th Amendment
- Let’s put the Claws back into Confrontation!
- Courts to implement new Kwik-Affirm (c) software for criminal appeals
- The appellate process explained
- Justice Scalia kills at Bench ‘n’ Bar
- The lucky bag scam
- Squawk at oral argument
- “Dear Judicial Ethics Committee” – part 2
- Judge Wool’s 2012 Court of Appeals Highlights
- Sexperts in court: Part 2
- Sexperts in the courtroom: Part 1
- Squawk survives Sandy
- Squawk goes on vacation
- Scalia and Posner duke it out
- Judge Wool’s Judicial Horoscope
- Forget legal writing: draw comic strips
- Crime doesn’t pay. Join the NYPD instead.
- There’s no such thing as Brady material: Final installment (for now)
- There’s no such thing as Brady material: Part 2
- There’s no such thing as Brady material: Part 1
- The DNA truck brings exoneration to your doorstep
- The murder of a mural
- “Dear Judicial Ethics Committee,”
- Judge Wool for Court of Appeals
- And you thought you had a hard day in court. . .
- Appellate Squawk’s field guide to judicial writing
- Stop & Frisk = civil rights at risk
- Legislature adopts frisk-level registry; Governor will sign
- No unsafe convictions please, we’re British
- You can’t smoke your crack and have it
- “Everything I know about forensic science I learned in kindergarten”
- Videotaping police interrogations isn’t enough: Part 2
- Jury note
- Videotaping police interrogations isn’t enough: Part I
- Murder at the Appellate Division
- “One small step for a shabby old man but a giant leap for justice”
- “A shabby old man distributing his silly leaflets from the sidewalk outside a courthouse”
- DA Vandal’s Easter message
- Squawk takes a breather
- So the jury saw and heard the witnesses – big deal.
- Virtual porn: the court knows it when it sees it
- District Attorney Vandal tries his hand at oral argument
- Viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to the People
- The Bambi’s mother school of criminal defense
- Squawk is bummed
- Maples v. Thomas: The Movie
- Liberty returns to Zuccotti Park (for awhile)